

2020 Carpentry Articulation Meeting

Name	Institution
Don Naidesh	BCIT
Erik Harden	NIC
Geoff Murray	Camosun
Dave Gall	BCIT
Chris Carter	CNC
Tim Dorn	Okanagan College
Stephen Janssen	NLC
Tom Hagg	TRU
Dave Redmond	BCIT
Jessie Chalmers	VIU
Mark Ryan	University of the Fraser Valley
Cam Frenette	VIU
Dan Brazeau	Selkirk College
Al Van Aker	Camosun
Ted Zak	University of the Fraser Valley
Wayne Andrews	KPU
Yves Blaison	BCIT

Guests:

Colleen Rogan ITA

Melinda Mennie ITA

June 23, 2020

Don – Chair – Called meeting to order at 9:00am

Welcome

Topics that need to be talked about when delivering Carpentry during COVID

What are the essential skills – A document (Essential skills document) that was created by the ITA.

Comparison between the provincial program outline and the NOA

Colleen - It was created using the program outline and the achievement criteria. Every competency that has a practical achievement criteria was put on that sheet.

It is just a worksheet/tool for us to use to help us with the blended learning

Adoption of minutes from 2019

Don - Asked for the minutes of the last minutes to be approved

Tom Hagedorn made a motion to approve last years minutes

Erik Hardin second

Colleen - asked for a few days to review the minutes before being accepted.

Don - I will resend them out for her approval before submitting them

Approval of Agenda

Erik Hardin - Motion to approve the agenda

Al Van Aker - Second the motion

ITA Presentation – Colleen Rogan and Melinda Mennie

Melinda

Statistics and information

Covid 19 Update

Students will not be required to write a SLE to progress to the next level

C of Q exams and IP have not been waived and need to be passed

RSOS process – Carpenter has a NOA

Stage 7 – Harmonization

- 1) Industry Consultations and instructor feedback
 - Aware of instructors concerns
- 2) ESDC Reviews jurisdiction sequencing red flags
- 3) RSOS Workshop and Sequencing

Al Van Aker – Who is industry

Colleen - Working with industry relation team

If there are specific people or companies you want to let her know

If we are interested in who they are, I will send out a list

Al Van Aker - please

Any idea what will be happen in Sept.

Colleen - Not sure at this time

Al Van Aker - Is there a reason why they (Camosun) were told that the SLE can only accommodate 8 students when they have the ability to accommodate 16

Colleen - I will contact assessments and ask for clarification and get back to you

Al Van Aker - Please

Transition update as we head into the final years

Melinda

We are now in year 4 of the transition 20/21

Dual streaming for current level 3/harm 3 as well as providing funding for the Gap training in level 4

Will not be offering current 3 in 21/22

Apprenticeship Status

As of May 1 Number of students

	Current	Harmonized
Active	1084	4488

Inactive	1907			5393		
Current Levels	CL2	CL3	CL4	HL2	HL3	HL4
Active	206	350	527	678	407	1
Inactive	814	436	657	43	8	0

Melinda

Are we struggling filling classes

Colleen - Do you think we will need to offer current level 3 beyond 2021

Don - Yes, just due to the amount of students in the system. I don't think there is another option. We will do are best to run current level 3 in the fall depends on COVID.

Al Van Aker - Worst case scenario we could have current level 3 students complete harm 2.

Especially if students would like to stay local.

Melinda - No contact for 18 months causes students to be inactive

Question in chat: what do we do with those struggling to enrol in gap training

Melinda - have them contact ITA and speak to an advisor

SLE Statistics

Colleen - There is no SLE for level 4 – It is the IP exam

Melinda

Timeline is Jan to Dec 2019

HL1 Pass rate 78% (of 602 writes) 77% average

HL2 Pass rate 69% (of 596 writes) 75% average

HL3 Pass rate 51% (of 171 writes) 70% average

IPSE Stats

National pass rate (includes challengers) 47%

BC pass rate 63% (does not include challengers)

Question - Why do we not include the challengers

Colleen and Melinda – due to software limitations

A new platform for the exams is being built – this may be possible in the future – hopefully we will be able to get deeper statistics

The other jurisdictions report differently

Will look into the outliers in level 3

Election of new Chair

Don – As I mentioned last year, once harmonization was completed that I would step down as chair

I would like to bring Eric Harden's name forward as next chair of the Carpentry Articulation Group.

He's been involved with Articulation for many years and I think he would do a great job and is the right fit.

There has been a lot of support in the chat.

Eric – I accept the nomination and the position

All were in favor

None opposed

Vice Chair

Tim Dorn stepped up and volunteered for Vice Chair

Don – Brought forward Tim Dorn's name

All were in Favor

None opposed

Essential Skills Document

Jessie Chalmers

Essential practical skills' document that was mentioned at the beginning of Articulation. Is not to set precedence.

How do we get consistency throughout the province during covid?

There was discussion around what was essential to the training.

As mentioned it was only to help us to deliver online training versus in class.

The intent was not to set precedence for the future but to help guide training providers moving forward during Covid

Don - Reviewed and summarized the essential skills document with articulation group

A committee was formed which included Tim Dorn, Geoff Murray, Tom Hagg, and Erik Harden

We started by modifying the title page – that this document was only created due to covid 19.

Reviewed what we thought could be taught online or in the shop and whether evaluation should be done either online, shop or by the employer or employer assisted.

Tom Hagg

What are the essential practical competencies – the idea of omitting any competencies is wrong

Jessie

Challenges are limited resources. The process is broken. Is there a better model for program delivery and resources being provided even after covid

Geoff

Our modules provides us with the ability to be consistent from one college to another. This is important to the program

NOA review

Don – I asked Tim Dorn to represent our Articulation group

Shared document in teaching content across multiple levels

Tim Dorn – A few of us have met, we know what is working and what's not working

We have the ability to influence at the table during this review

The best we can do is rationalize a sequence that makes sense and leverage our perspective

Discussion on the ongoing maintenance on our learning resources

Tim Dorn – suggested we put in a proposal for annual maintenance funded through the royalty funds

Rotate it around from colleges

Colleges Updates.

Each college shared what they have been doing online. Pros and cons of what is happening due to online training (Covid 19)

Also each college provided additional information they felt important to share.

Chat blog from the zoom meeting

09:16:16 From thaag : No leaf guards on the radial arm saw... just saying:)
09:17:25 From Al : What's the plan for September for SLEs?
09:18:07 From crogan : thaag - Is that an error in the worksheet?
09:18:42 From Al : Who is "Industry" - who is at the table?
09:23:37 From thaag : Colleen - no, I was just commenting on the photo in the presentation...
Radial Arm saw is not even in our learning guides any longer
09:24:33 From crogan : Oh, I see! They are stock photos. :-)
09:31:17 From Don Naidesh to Colleen Rogan(Privately) : How many Lvl 3 current are still in the system
09:31:49 From Don Naidesh to Colleen Rogan(Privately) : do you think we are going to continue to need to run lvl 3c in 21-22
09:32:07 From thaag : What do we do for the stragglers who are still current Level 1 and need the Gap Training for Level 2?
09:33:10 From ehardin : Do inactive CL students need to restart the program?
09:33:51 From Cameron Frenette : We haven't at VIU
09:33:53 From Al : Camosun - no demand for CL3
09:34:31 From ehardin : we had 4 CL3 students cancelled cohort during April-May

09:35:16 From Al : If they can't do a CL3, they could do HL2 and HL3 to get back on track

09:36:42 From Tim Dorn : We have not have much demand for CL3 but may need to consider a session next fiscal.

09:39:17 From Al : Inactive - Are they even still in the trade?

09:40:43 From Tim Dorn : Many of those were also Secondary School apprentices

09:41:17 From crogan : Al - Some aren't in the trade anymore. Some could just be working. We generally see about a 20% uptake from inactive.

09:44:48 From Al to Don Naidesh(Privately) : Hi Don - just had a thought - the entire contents of this chat window should be copied and pasted into the minutes of this meeting. Thanks!

09:45:31 From Chris Carter : sorry stepped away is ITA going to invigilate a 4th yr SLE and a IP

09:45:35 From Don Naidesh to Al(Privately) : I agree. I will make sure I do that as well.

09:47:02 From Al : 4th year has never had a SLE, and still doesn't. IPSE - yes, max group size is 8 students - book early.

09:52:57 From Al : Pass rate of 51% ???

09:54:39 From Al : 171 writes should be enough to be a representative sample. This is why we've been told in the past that no changes are considered until there are at least 100 writes.

09:54:49 From ehardin : How does BC rate nationally apprentices only?

09:55:37 From mark ryan UFV Carp/Join Foundation : dajavo I think that question has been asked before. no answer yet

09:55:37 From thaag : Approx. how many BC IP challengers?

10:01:12 From Al : Thanks Colleen and Melinda, and, nice to meet you Melinda!

10:01:27 From ehardin : Thanks

10:01:35 From Tim Dorn : Thank you too Melinda and Coleen

10:01:35 From thaag : Thank you both!

10:01:39 From Jessie Chalmers : Thanks Melinda/Colleen

10:01:53 From Al to Don Naidesh(Privately) : 10 minute break?

10:03:13 From Tim Dorn : I would like to nominate Erik Hardin as Chair. Many thanks to you Don for all your efforts on our behalf.

10:03:43 From SJanssen : I agree Eric would be a great fit

10:04:05 From thaag : I second the nomination

10:04:13 From Al to Don Naidesh(Privately) : I second, or 3rd, or 4th this nomination

10:06:10 From thaag : Don, you have been a great representative for Carpentry in BC. Thank you!

10:06:26 From Tim Dorn : I wasn't aware that four-letter words were an indication of enjoyment.

10:06:40 From mark ryan UFV Carp/Join Foundation : I support eric on this.

10:07:25 From Al : Thanks Erik!

10:07:38 From SJanssen : No need of a brick

10:07:52 From Chris Carter : Thanks Eric

10:08:05 From David Gall : That great Erik

10:08:58 From Cameron Frenette : Thanks Erik and Tim

10:09:07 From Al : Thanks Tim!

10:09:46 From David Gall : If someone know other people of interest

10:11:01 From thaag : Congrats Erik! Thanks for stepping up!

10:11:57 From ehardin : Thanks everyone. I appreciate the confidence and support.

10:21:42 From thaag : I think that relates to Al's comment earlier... Industry is a very general statement.

10:27:15 From Tim Dorn : That's an important point Jesse. No sense in Harmonizing nationally if we aren't consistent within BC.

10:27:32 From thaag : Jessie, are you able to share Horticulture with me?

10:30:22 From Tim Dorn : Yes. A best practices forum.

10:30:26 From SJanssen : I agree Eric

10:30:53 From ehardin : Great idea

10:31:26 From thaag : Let's do it

10:32:31 From Chris Carter : Don please send this again if you don't mind. It might be buried in other emails. Thanks

10:36:23 From SJanssen : we use end frame and timbers for our suspended slab

10:37:17 From Geoff Murray : It is one of the strengths of our Articulation Committee that over the years we have worked well together. An informal zoom type meeting/forum is a great idea. It doesn't have to be a decision making or mandatory meeting. It is always interesting to hear what is happening at other colleges.

10:41:07 From Tim Dorn : That's good Don.

10:45:06 From Cameron Frenette : We've experienced the same thing, our students are completing more work per hour than before.

10:46:45 From SJanssen : Online will NEVER replace human contact!

10:47:01 From ehardin : I agree. This can be a great opportunity for enhancement but must be of high quality

10:49:10 From ehardin : I agree

10:49:42 From mark ryan UFV Carp/Join Foundation : Power points would be very helpful.

10:52:10 From mark ryan UFV Carp/Join Foundation : The modules still have a lot of problems that need fixing. I see problems that have been there since I started teaching.

10:56:19 From SJanssen : RCABC (Roofing) provides all their students with cheap tablets with all the modules on them for free. We could maybe do similar but charge. The students keep the tablets. Just an idea that works for them.

10:59:21 From mark ryan UFV Carp/Join Foundation : were do the calls for proposals show up.

11:02:48 From David Gall : Can someone unshare

11:07:32 From David Gall to Don Naidesh(Privately) : Un-share screen

11:09:47 From mark ryan UFV Carp/Join Foundation : We were doing well until the money got taken away from us.

11:17:38 From mark ryan UFV Carp/Join Foundation : our electrical instructors are involved in development of materials

11:21:02 From mark ryan UFV Carp/Join Foundation : exactly

11:21:15 From Al : Tim - totally agree

11:31:45 From thaag : I think we all agree we had a very logical sequence prior to HARMONIZATION!

11:38:31 From Cameron Frenette : Is Alberta's actually that similar to ours though?

11:40:23 From thaag : Yves - Milinda Mennie basically said that we may have little input on change

11:41:56 From Al : "attempt at consultation" - no, not really
11:48:23 From mark ryan UFV Carp/Join Foundation : that works for me
11:54:48 From SJanssen : That has been awesome Eric
11:55:08 From SJanssen : I've been using Eric's Images all this month
11:55:30 From Geoff Murray : Can we update the mailing list? There are a bunch of retired guys on the current list.
11:56:09 From SJanssen : I'm in
12:00:07 From Al : We have no private trainers in our area - who does? How big an issue is this?
12:01:52 From mark ryan UFV Carp/Join Foundation : yes barry penner is no longer working or us
12:11:58 From Dan Brazeau Selkirk College : Craig McCallum is also on his last set of holidays!
12:18:26 From mark ryan UFV Carp/Join Foundation : what kind of class sizes are everyone running
12:22:42 From SJanssen : Our class sizes vary widely from as little as 4 to 18.
12:28:17 From Cameron Frenette : another point to add : Plexi-glass is crazy expensive!
12:30:55 From Al : Where did you buy the vinyl?
12:37:28 From Dan Brazeau Selkirk College : Sorry folks - Gotta run - My class has just started
12:43:37 From ehardin : remove tom Klatt as well
12:43:48 From Cameron Frenette : Stephen Pelley Retired as well
12:47:16 From Cameron Frenette : I saw that Don, It looks great!
12:48:21 From Chris Carter : Thanks Don